Retail Alliance is committed to strengthening the retail community by championing for our members’ success, educating them and their peers, and building lasting relationships far beyond membership.
The Retail Alliance is a non-profit trade association serving the interests of local retailers in Hampton Roads since 1903. We promote and support the healthy growth of retail businesses and trade through our signature programs: STRIVE educational workshops, Retail Alliance Foundation, Virginia Retail Federation legislative lobbying and industry advocacy, LOVEVA Buy Local rewards program, plus many other discounts and member benefits.
We promise to provide our retail and business partners with dependable, responsive, and uncompromising products and service. We build alliances within the retail community, with vendors, industry and community leaders, and allied businesses for the success of our retail members.
Retailer of the Year Awards
Since 2008, Retail Alliance has held the Retailer of the Year (ROTY) awards for Hampton Roads’ retailers. The ROTY awards ceremony is our signature event to recognize excellence in retail while honoring Retail Alliance members who demonstrate the very best in product quality, customer service, and community involvement.
Over 25 awards handed out to Retail Alliance members (with our members doing the voting!). This is in addition to the overall Retailer of the Year and the LOVEVA Community Builder Award. We will also celebrate the Lifetime Achievement Award winner by honoring their many years in business and their contributions to the Hampton Roads community
28 awards are presented at an awards ceremony on Facebook Live, apart from Lifetime Achievement Award winner, who will be announced prior.
- Overall Retailer of the Year Award Winner
- Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient
- LOVEVA Community Builder Award
- Automotive ROTY
- Bookstore/Comics ROTY
- Brewery/Winery/Distillery ROTY
- Building and/or Garden Supplies ROTY
- Clothing & Accessories ROTY
- Coffee Shop/Café ROTY
- Co-Working Space ROTY
- Entertainment ROTY
- Finance ROTY
- Furniture ROTY
- Gift Shop/Artisan Market ROTY
- Home Improvement ROTY
- Hospitality & Travel ROTY
- Jeweler ROTY
- Media & Marketing ROTY
- Medical or Vision ROTY
- Non-Profit ROTY
- Personal Care/Beauty ROTY
- Pet/Animal Supplies ROTY
- Printing/Awards/Engraving/Signage ROTY
- Professional Service ROTY
- Realty ROTY
- Resale/Consignment/Antique ROTY
- Restaurant ROTY
- Specialty Artist ROTY
- Specialty Food & Beverage ROTY
- Specialty Retail ROTY
- Wellness/Fitness ROTY
Previous Award Winners (2019)
- Kelsick Specialty Market – Overall Retailer of the Year Award Winner
- Norma Dorey (Changes City Spa/Jake’s Place) – Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
- East Beach Urgent Care – Service Award Winner – Up & Comer
- Alkaline – Restaurant Award Winner – Up & Comer
- Hummingbird Macarons – Restaurant Award Winner (Southside)
- Viking Burger – Restaurant Award Winner (Peninsula)
- Mom & Me Boutique – Retail Award Winner (Southside)
- Hickory Trading Company – Retail Award Winner – Up & Comer
- Smith’s Florist & Gift Shoppe – Retail Award Winner (Peninsula)
- Beach Gold Assay – Service Award Winner (Southside)
- Williamsburg Salt Spa – Award Winner (Peninsula)
- Perfectly Natural Soap – LOVEVA Award Winner
How Are Awards Judged
Each and every Retail Alliance member will be the judges for the ROTY winners this year. Voting will be done via a link emailed individually to every Retail Alliance member on July 6. Each member will be asked to select their top 2-4 (depending on the size of the nomination pool) choices in each category that they feel should be recognized. If a voter does not feel confident in voting for a particular category, they have the option to skip it. Voting is limited to once per member.
Voters should refer to the purpose of ROTY when making their decisions.
“The ROTY awards recognize excellence in retailing while honoring merchants across retail and restaurant categories who demonstrate the very best in product quality, customer service & experience, and community involvement.”
Q: Is there any cost associated with accepting the nomination?
A: No, the nomination process is free of charge.
Q: How are businesses nominated for Retailer of the Year 2020?
A: All Retail Alliance members who fit the criteria are automatically nominated.
Q: How will winners be determined?
A: Each Retail Alliance member will be allowed to vote once in each category. Members will select from the list of nominations their top three (rank order). Retail Alliance will calculate the winners based on their average score.
Q: How & when are winners announced?
A: Winners are announced on Facebook Live at a date to be announced. The only winner announced prior to the event is the Lifetime Achievement Award winner.
Q. What do winners receive?
A: Winners receive a banner and plaque to display at their business location as well as bragging rights! There will also be publicity of the winners to the media and through social media channels.